When does a foreign system of law apply to your contract?April 11, 2019
Strategic Alliance with TGSMay 3, 2019
- The so-called Golden Visa initiative by a number of countries throughout the world has attracted the attention of citizens of many countries but sifting through the various requirements per country has its own challenges.
- BKI has however concluded that one of the most attractive residency and then citizenship by investment processes is that initiated by Portugal.
- It is not the purpose of this communication to identify in detail what the Portuguese Golden Visa offers but in simple terms it is residency and the right to work in Portugal without a lengthy mandate regarding permanence in the country.
- The possibility also arises to apply for Portuguese citizenship after 5 years holding a Golden Visa provided certain requirements are met. In addition, Golden Visa holders may apply (but are not obliged to apply) for the Non Habitual Tax Resident status (NHR), a favourable 10 year tax holiday in Portugal which is, in many instances, more advantageous than other similar regimes, particularly because it does not require the applicant to spend a minimum stay in Portugal.
- Given the interest shown by South Africans who are exploring the possibility of applying for the Golden Visa (whether in Portugal or elsewhere), BKI has established a strategic alliance with attorney Mayer Jardim, a law firm in Lisbon that focuses on private client law and has a substantial expertise in the Golden Visa arena.
Rita Mayer Jardim is qualified as a lawyer in Portugal and Brazil. She has a Master’s degree (with distinction) from Oxford University and a law degree from Lisbon University, currently studying for a Decotrate at Universidade de Coimbra. She holds the Certificate in International Trust Management by STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners). Rita set up Mayer Jardim, a boutique Private Client law practice to contribute with a new approach to private wealth legal advisory in Portugal to best service clients with an international footprint. This follows her experience at one of the most successful London law firms (Mishcon de Reya) and as COO of an international network of leading law firms (Legalink). She has lived and worked in Los Angeles, Melbourne, New York, Lisbon, São Paulo, and London.
Direct line: +27 11 577 5631
Switchboard: +27 11 577 5600
Contact: Rita Jardim
Office: +351 939 219 386
Mobile Number: +351 960 427 131
This article is a general information sheet and should not be used or relied on as legal or other professional advice. No liability can be accepted for any errors or omissions nor for any loss or damage arising from reliance upon any information herein. Please feel free to contact Brian Kahn for further information or specific and detailed advice. Errors and omissions excepted (E&OE)